Join Our Board
The trustees of Jean Abreu Dance are inviting applications to join the Board of our innovative dance organisation.
Submit your interest by, 5pm on 31 March 2023
Join the Board of our innovative dance organisation.
Purpose of Trustees
To advise, govern, oversee policy and direction and assist with the leadership and general promotion of Jean Abreu Dance Limited, supporting the organisation’s mission and direction.
Role and Responsibilities
- To ensure the organisation has a clear vision, mission and strategic direction and is focused on achieving these.
- To determine levels of delegation to the Artistic Director & Producer.
- To work in partnership with other Board members to support and develop the company work and take responsibility for the corporate governance of the organisation.
- To ensure effective oversight of the operational and management of productions & projects.
- To support the leadership in the formulation of Business Plans outlining the operational and artistic direction within the budgetary framework.
- To have a good grasp of the finances and resources of the organisation.
- To comprehend and maintain a general overview of companies policies and procedures especially in relation to Company Law.
- To ensure the company complies with all legal, regulatory and statutory requirements.
- To ensure that the organisation’s governance is of the highest possible standard.
- To build a good understanding of the company’s day-to-day operating processes, procedures and practices.
- To have a serious commitment to participate actively in committee work.
- To actively promote and communicate the organisation’s work to the community performing an ambassadorial role on behalf of the company.
Skills and Knowledge
- A good knowledge of the legal responsibilities attributable to the Board.
- The ability and willingness to act as an advocate for the organisation and to represent its work to an external audience.
- The ability to think imaginatively and strategically and contribute to effective decision-making.
Collectively the board is likely to consist of;
- Those from within the dance sector with direct experience of the industry.
- Local government elected members or members of other major funders
- Those working in education, regeneration, training, or other fields relevant to the arts.
- Individuals with legal, financial, marketing or fundraising backgrounds who can contribute to the strategic overview of the organisation.
JAD is a small but ambitious organisation that sets high standards in everything it does. Board members will be expected to dedicate time and energy to the organisation in order to meet its ambitions. This will mean:
- Induction – meeting the staff & other board members, attendance at performances, discussion of responsibilities
- Approximately three Board meetings a year held in London or online
- Attendance at sub-committee meeting and activities (if applicable).
- Attendance at company events and functions where possible
- The Leadership will consult with Board Members from time to time on an individual basis during or out of normal working hours.
Length of term
The duration of membership for new Board members will be for three years in the first instance, with the possibility of appointment for a further three year term. It is permissible for a former director to reapply to join the Board after two years for an additional three year term subject to formal agreement by a vote of the Board.
Equality and Diversity
Jean Abreu Dance Limited is committed to equality and diversity in all spheres of its work, through its artistic output and education work, public and external relationships, and in its recruitment and personnel practices. The company strives to ensure that no job applicant, employee, Board member, audience member, project participant, supplier or visitor, collaborator or contractor receives less favourable treatment than another on the grounds of age, gender, race, ethnic or national origins, sexual orientation, disability, religious or political beliefs, marital status, physical appearance, medical condition, social or economic class, parental status or criminal record unless such considerations can be shown to be relevant and justifiable. This policy informs our operations throughout the organisation.
Expression of Interest
To arrange a meeting with the Chair of the Board for an informal conversation, please get in touch with Michael Johnson. (details below).
If the opportunity to join Jean Abreu Dance’s board excites you, please send:
- A short cover letter, or film / video / sound recording setting out your interest in the role and the areas of specialism you could bring to the board.
- Your CV
Please detail any business or other interests which might give rise to conflict of interest, and how you would address this should your application be successful.
Expressions of interest should be received by 5pm Friday 13 January 20223 and sent to Michael Johnson, Producer, via Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Candidates whose expressions of interest trustees wish to take forward will be invited to meetings in early 2023, with trustees wishing to decide by Spring 2023.